Train Depot

Rick Miller

Looking down Flagler Avenue, the train depot on the right, the water tower in the distance, the Stuart Dept Store on the left, then St. Lucie Avenue, next the Feroe Building housing on the first floor the Rexall Drug Store, then a couple small business shops before the impressive 1926..Read More

Victory Hotel

Rick Miller

Flagler Avenue with scenes of the former Peacock Arcade, which by 1949 was named Victory Hotel (so named during the WW II war effort).  Next to the Victory is the Stuart Dept. Store, then owned by Ben Eckess.  The Victory Hotel was renamed in the 1950s, The Commodore and burned..Read More

Lighthouse Restaurant

Rick Miller

The Lighthouse Restaurant, with its mock lighthouse to the right, was located north of the St. Lucie River, just off of the Roosevelt Bridge.  A popular restaurant and lounge for Stuart and visitors.  It was destroyed in a fire in the late 1950s.

France Apartments

Rick Miller

Along Frazier Creek and across from Shepard Estate (later Shepard Park) was the three-story France Apartments built in 1927.  Each apartment is 1 bedroom, 1 bath and has remained a popular apartment complex over the decades.

Chisholm’s Restaurant

Rick Miller

A popular restaurant on U. S. 1 in Stuart was Chisholm’s Restaurant. It served meals to locals and visitors as well as a meeting area for local civic organizations. It was torn down when U. S. 1 was widened in 1964.