East Stuart Main Street will present its 4th annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration at various Stuart locations January 12-16, 2012. The multi-day celebration includes youth and family activities, reception and art exhibit, and an interfaith gospel service. Events will culminate with Martin County’s only Martin Luther King Jr. Parade on Monday, January 16, followed by a speaker program and free concert in the newly renovated Memorial Park. A schedule follows:·
- Youth Oratorical Competition – Thursday, January 12, 2012 4:00-5:30 p.m., City Commission Chambers, 121 SW Flagler Avenue, Stuart, FL
- Kickoff Reception And Highwaymen Art Exhibit – Thursday, January 12, 2012 5:30-7:30 p.m., Law Offices of Jean Laws-Scott, 430 Colorado Avenue, Stuart, FL
- Family Fun Day with Live Music, DJ, Praise Dancers, Children’s Activities and Vendors – Saturday, January 14, 2012 12:00-5:00 p.m., 10th Street Recreation Center Complex, 724 SE 10th Street, Stuart, FL
- Interfaith Gospel Service – Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:00 p.m., First United Methodist Church, 1500 S Kanner Highway, Stuart, FL
- Parade – Monday, January 16, 2012 1:00 p.m., 10th Street Recreation Complex to Tarpon Avenue to Church Street to Bayou Avenue to Martin Luther King Jr. Boulevard to Georgia Avenue to Memorial Park Band Shell, 100 SE Ocean Boulevard, Stuart, FL
- Speaker Program – Monday, January 16, 2012 2:00 p.m. including Reenactment of I Have a Dream Speech, Memorial Park Band Shell, 100 SE Ocean Boulevard, Stuart, FL
- Free Concert with Soft Notes – Monday, January 16, 2012 3:00-5:00 p.m., West end of Memorial Park, 100 SE Ocean Boulevard, Stuart, FL
Sunday’s interfaith service will feature musical performances and speakers highlighting this year’s celebration theme, Putting the Unity in Our Community. Monday’s Keynote speaker, Attorney Donald Watson, will carry on the theme in his address as well. The speaker portion of the program will conclude with a dramatic interpretation of Dr. King’s historic I Have a Dream speech by Reverend James Watson. The day’s activities will end in a FREE concert by South Florida band Soft Notes, known for its smooth mix of Jazz and Old School R & B. The public is encouraged to bring lawn chairs and blankets to enjoy the open air concert in the newly renovated Memorial Park.
The Martin Luther King Celebration is presented by East Stuart Main Street, a private, non-profit organization committed to the preservation and development of the East Stuart community. Goals of the organization include creating a positive image for the community through outreach, education, special events, and economic development. For more information or to become a member please call 772-600-1248 or 772-485-9568.