So you missed this year’s Macy’s Thanksgiving Parade? You can still enjoy a little of the classic holiday event right here in Stuart when the Martin County SPAM Robotics team kicks of the 53rd Annual Stuart Christmas Parade Friday night, December 6, 2013. The students from Martin County high school will be fresh off a trip to New York City, where they were one of five teams nationwide selected to open the 87th annual Macy’s parade with their robots. They’ll recreate their national appearance here in their hometown when the parade kicks off at 7:00 on East Ocean Boulevard.
It’s all part of a special Christmas parade commemorating Stuart’s year-long Centennial Celebration. This year’s parade theme is Christmas Past, Present & Future: Celebrating 100 Years on the St. Lucie. Highlights will include over 70 entries including five bands, 30 lighted floats, and – of course – Santa. This year’s parade Grand Marshall is local centenarian, Curt Whiticar. The Women’s Club of Stuart, Stuart Heritage Museum, East Coast Lumber, and The Treasure Coast Vintage Car Club are all part of the centennial theme. The parade also has a special judging category this year for the float that best embodies the city’s Centennial. The parade, always held the first Friday in December, follows East Ocean Boulevard from Georgia Avenue to Monterey Boulevard.
Parade floats are all judged before the start of the parade, and six prizes are awarded. (Float length refers to the float only excluding the towing vehicle):
- The Centennial Award – The float that best represents Stuart’s 100 years as a city.
- Judge’s Choice – The judges’ favorite float!
- “Christmas Past, Present & Future” (30’-40’) – The float that best exemplifies this year’s theme in the 30’-40’ size division.
- Illuminations/Musical (30’-40’) – The most amazing display of lights and/or music in the 30’-40’ size division.
- “Christmas Past, Present & Future” (Under 30’) – The float that best exemplifies this year’s theme in the under 30’ size division.
- Illuminations/Musical (Under 30’) – The most amazing display of lights and/or music in the under 30’ size division.
The Stuart Christmas Parade is a Martin County tradition, and one of the last remaining nighttime Christmas parades in the United States. City of Stuart Vice Mayor, Troy McDonald and Jim Chrulski will emcee the parade.